Teaching and learning at Mt Maunganui Intermediate is based upon the New Zealand Curriculum. Integrated units of work are collaboratively planned with an emphasis on the key competencies and what our learners need to learn. Instructional group teaching in literacy and numeracy is also a priority in our classrooms.
– Mathematics and Statistics
– Social Sciences
– Health and Physical Education
– Learning Languages
– The Arts (Visual Art, Music, Dance / Drama)
– Technology (Food and Nutrition, Hard Materials and Digitech)
Mt Mauganui Intermediate is an exciting place where students are able to explore, grow and develop by making the most of the numerous opportunities offered, while still maintaining the safety, security, support and targeted teaching in the home room environment.
We acknowledge the needs of our students and we:
- Nurture students’ academic capacities and have proven success in shifting student achievement
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners
- Shape our curriculum based on the needs and interests of students
- Develop students’ leadership and voice
- Create a safe learning environment
- Engage students in the community
Other Learning Opportunities
– Accelerate Class
A differentiated programme that is aimed at challenging and extending capable learners.
– Digital Learning/e-learning
Students are able to bring their own laptop to use as a tool for learning in classrooms. Teachers will enable students to use their own laptop as a tool for their learning.
– Bilingual Year 7 and Year 8 composite class.
Leadership / Citizenship
– Class Councillors/School Council
Kiwi Can Programme
This programme teaches essential life skills and values such as resilience, respect, integrity and manners. It’s a whole school programme with all children attending a Kiwi Can lesson once a week. Specially trained Kiwi Can Leaders work in pairs delivering the high energy, interactive and, most importantly, fun lessons and are awesome role models for the kids to look up to.
Awarded for recognition and achievement. The school presents blues to students who have represented our school or achieved high standards. Blues are awarded for academic achievement, sport, and citizenship.
– Computer studies
Special Needs Programmes
– Tutor Reading
Mount Maunganui Intermediate students are given the opportunity to participate and excel in a wide range of sports and cultural activities.